Please review these important instructions on how to use your PureWick™ System in this step-by-step video or by reading the instructions below.
1. Follow instructions for setting up your PureWick™ System
For help and detailed instructions, visit our Setting up page.
2. Place the PureWick™ Female External Catheter
- Perform perineal care and assess skin integrity.
- Separate legs, gluteus muscles, and labia. Palpate pubic bone as anatomical marker.
- With soft gauze side facing patient, align distal end at gluteal cleft.
- Gently tuck soft gauze side between separated gluteus and labia.
3. Removal and maintenance
- Fully separate the legs, gluteus, and labia
- To avoid potential skin injury upon removal, gently pull the PureWick™ Female External Catheter directly outward.
- Ensure suction is maintained while removing the PureWick™ Female External Catheter.
- Replace at least every 8 to 12 hours or if soiled with feces or blood. Assess skin for compromise and perform perineal care prior to placement of a new PureWick™ Female External Catheter.
- The PureWick™ Female External Catheter (FEC) is designed for single-use only. Attempting to wash, sanitize, and/or reuse the FEC may contribute to a risk of infection or illness, and may compromise the structural integrity and materials of the wick. This could contribute to device failure and patient/user injury.